Before you go Bicycle Touring
In the present days of fast-paced life, trudging on a bicycle along dusty roads may seem an anachronistic activity. However, there are several people, who like to be close to nature and are driven by the passion to explore. For them bicycle touring is a fun-filled experience, where pedaling away slowly up the hills or going to less-traversed areas are experiences for life.
A bicycle touring time can be grueling and troublesome besides being adventurous and thrilling. Complete preparation is necessary before setting off on a bicycle tour. One must pack all the essentials and then move on with the tour. Here are a few essential things, which a bicyclist must ensure before setting off on a tour:
1. Plan the trip: a bicycle trip is successful, if well planned. For this, you should first collect all the material required for the trip. This includes tourist brochures, guides, maps and indicators for cycle-tourism, if any. You can work out the time available and the distance to be covered during the day. Highlighting the key areas and the possible stoppages is a good way to keep your self abreast of the present position and the distance to be covered.
2. Transportation of the bicycle: if the tour is intended to be in some other country or place, you need to transport the bicycle. Depending on the destination, one can transport the bicycle by train, ship, airplane or car. However, if you do not wish to go into the hassles of transporting the bicycle, you can seek bicycle-renting companies and get your bicycle on rent.
3. Setting up the bicycle: the next step is to set the bicycle. Before ensuing on the tour, you must get your bicycle checked by an experience mechanic. Ensure that there is enough housing space for fenders, luggage, lights etc. The brakes, wheels and the transmission system must be checked. The saddle and handlebar should be comfortable and the touring type. You should check for any additional requirements on the bicycle as per the rules and regulations of the destination country.
4. Luggage and equipment: Depending on your destination, length, and type of tour, the equipment requirement may vary. However, essential things like waterproofing bags and handlebar handbags to hold maps, documents, money, camera etc. are necessary. The clothing for a bicycle tour should be normal with cycling shorts and a cycling T-shirt. You must also carry some waterproof garments, a first aid kit, brake wire, a small screwdriver, pliers and a spare inner tube.
5. Food and lodging: if you intend to pedal for many days, the food routine should be; a hearty breakfast, a light snack during the day, light energy food to keep you light and a light evening meal. Fruit juices are an important part of the diet plan during summer months of bicycle touring. Meals can be had at local eateries. For accommodation during the night, you can look for tourist facilities or lodges that offer bed and breakfast. You can even look for hotels, but only if they are not too expensive. Some bicyclists also carry tents for camping. Therefore, the choice of lodging is dependent on how comfortable you want to be during the night.
* This article was submitted by Kichu, thanks a lot for your contribution Buddy!! 🙂